Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 30: Leslie Barbour is awesome!

It was very very nice to be on the road again.  But getting out of Austin felt like pulling velcro from my skin.  The city's boom in population and the resulting insufficient infrastructure, especially roads, made it overwhelming on the heavily trafficked outskirts.  I rode away on Hwy 71 East around 9am and it was already well over 90 degrees.  But I didn't have too far to go, and I was really looking forward to my destination.

An old friend, from high school, whom I did not know was out there, contacted me a week or so before as she'd heard of my adventure on the facebook.  She invited me to stop by and splendidly enough, though I wouldn't made changes, it was already on the way.  She, Miss Leslie Barbour, lives 65 miles to the southeast.  So I headed there, for a bit of a warm-up ride after the four days off, to the neat and bluffy little township of LaGrange.

We had a lovely dinner at one of the two local restaurants, and I thoroughly enjoyed the fresh Texmex, which I hadn't really tried, yet.  Then we watched the game-- everyone, basketball lover or not, seemed to be stoked for Dallas in the finals--played a trivia board game, and got to bed early.

Another early morning, trying to beat the heat.  Goodbye for now, darlings!


No comments:

Post a Comment