Wednesday, June 15, 2011

27, 28, 29; Hot Dallas

The day I arrived in Austin, I had hustled and made it into downtown with plenty of daylight.  I met up with my friend, Mokis, we'll call him, at the condo he was staying at with a friend.  There were a few of us crashing there, let's say, in transition, and we spent the weekend as a bit of a posse.  Austin is hot, so swimming is a priority.  Fortunately, but surprising to me as most of Texas was so dry, there is a lot of water around the city.  They are in a drought, but from the dog park pool down at Barton Springs, to a shockingly beautiful riviera-like setting at The Oasis above Lake Travis, to the pool at another friend's apartment, you wouldn't know it from my weekend.

We weren't exclusively in Austin, though.  Mokis is a very good uncle, and has a rad family, so he invited myself and our other friend, Sith, to make the drive with him up to Dallas for a couple of family parties.  I was eager to stay down for a few days, but the 8 hour round-trip drive was well worth the heat and worry to see Dallas, and this very sweet side of my friend.

Cake in the face, a bounce house, a lone walk through downtown Dallas, and a last night's escape to a girlfriend's cabin, back in Austin, to get a little rest in, made it a well-rounded introduction to the area besides its wildly cultivated debauchery :)

No comments:

Post a Comment