Sunday, May 29, 2011

Three day break for NM, oh, the wonders: days 15, 16, 17


Like I said in my last post, it took about 3 minutes for me to fall for Albuquerque, coming up Isleta Boulevard and into the old downtown residential area (where my friend Alanna grew up with her sister, BreeAnne and Mom, Wanda.)  They live in an old, all wood it seemed, house, with a red deck on the side, enclosed porch in the front and Alanna and Brendon's RV parked in back of the driveway.  Everything inside was colorful, historical, and artfully arranged, including the flatware, silverware, grub, seasonings, bedding, toiletries, even the newspapers and magazines bespoke the way Alanna et all live their lives; with curiosity, creativity, and a blending purpose.  It was a productive, but kick-back atmosphere (I know, it sounds an oxymoron) to recover and research, learn a little something, and enjoy good company.


The five of us ate almost all our meals together, which was a nice and rare retreat to tradition.  And, when Alanna and BreeAnne were not working face-painting at the Isotopes Minor League Baseball stadium, we went out on excursions.  The first day, I actually got to go with, and honestly, it was fun.  I accepted it then, no matter how smelly the hot dogs or odd the scene: I love the traditions of baseball.

We also went west to the Acoma Indian Reservation and Sky City.  It is touted as the oldest continually inhabited pueblo, and they retain much of the same way of life; no electricity, only generators for special occasions, no running water, outhouses only, and the homes are passed down through maternal lines, never bought or sold.  It was a breathtaking place, up on the mesa, views of the valley, the rock formations, and the mountains nearby.

For my last day, we ventured up to Santa Fe.  Alanna and Brendon are artists/musicians and will be moving up at the end of the summer, and they've cued into some of the most exciting art collectives and movements out there.  Santa Fe is also known as the oldest continually inhabited city in North America, and you could tell it was planted, if you well, in more organic pastures.  It's rich, both literally and figuratively, though much of it is a little touristy for my taste.  Still, I loved it too, especially because of a very special place, the warehouse of Due Return.  Inside the unassuming stucco building towered a ship, amid sea and techie sculptures.  The collaborative effort of fifty artists, who apparently also slept there from time to time, felt like the set of Alice and Wonderland, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Dr. Strangelove, and your childhood blanket forts all together.  It was a simply wonderful place and I could have lived there.  Maybe I will, someday!

For our last meal together, Wanda, who is also shortly going on an adventure of sailing to Hawaii, made steaks and Brendon made his famous chili-spiced mash potatoes.  We shared a tasty bottle of sweet, Hungarian wine, which is where-from Bree Anne is visiting for the summer.



It was hard to get up and on the road again the next day, but the ladies made it easier by launching me on my way.  I have a feeling I'll be back to Albuquerque.



        

No comments:

Post a Comment